facebook.com/HRASouthampton highfieldracomms@gmail.com

Join
Us

Contact
Us

Local History



The Avenue c. 1850 with Archer’s Lodge on right

Posted by on Feb 22, 2021 in Local History

Hardly recognizable! Bevois Mount History Southampton YetSSpstecasenrdaygo natriefs 07S:oagauur4telde0  · Philip Brannon’s print of The Avenue c. 1850 shows Archer’s Lodge on the right hand side. The house was a ‘superior school...

read more

A brief historical snapshop of the Cowherds

Posted by on Feb 22, 2021 in Local History

A brief historical snapshot of the Cowherds. Bevois Mount History Southampton d2e0dotc fFuSpebrfocuirsnsohatrrtySe haodt t08u:5u8  · It was the cowherd’s house then the Southampton Arms and finally The Cowherds...

read more

Not such a problem crossing The Avenue then!

Posted by on Feb 22, 2021 in Local History

Not such a problem with crossing then! Bevois Mount History Southampton d2e0dotc fFuSpebrfocuirsnsohatrrtySe haodt t10u:4u3  · The cross roads at the top of the Avenue.

read more

Burgess Road Library, opened in May 1935

Posted by on Feb 22, 2021 in Local History

Burgess Road Library was opened in May 1935. It was the first library in Southampton to feature a specially designed and equipped children’s department (picture 1980). SEE Southampton tSp1hottnsoread  · Burgess Road Library 1980. Burgess Road...

read more

WW1 and Avenue St Andrews United Reformed Church

Posted by on Feb 22, 2021 in Local History

Avenue St Andrews United Reformed Church’s role in helping WW1 soldiers camping on The Common. SEE Southampton tSp5hottnsoread  · Avenue St Andrews Congregational Church with hall next door where soldiers were camping on the Common in WW1...

read more

An old print of Portswood House

Posted by on Feb 19, 2021 in Local History

The old Portswood House. SEE Southampton 17 oFhebaatafrulrSfuaocruy apotsn 1se6oimS:rore4rd1t  · An old print of Portswood House and a map showing its location.

read more

Cllr Ransom, of one Southampton’s biggest ship builders, living in Hawthorn Cottage on The Common

Posted by on Feb 17, 2021 in Local History

Councillor John Ransom was one of the biggest ship builders in the town. He lived with his wife in Hawthorn Cottage (now the Urban Wildlife Centre) on the Common. Bevois Mount History Southampton o1t5 FSmebrcuptsaolirednaasy oat ronuiniege1dg0:s47 ...

read more

An interesting landmark in Burgess Road marking the location of the former Crown and Sceptre Hotel

Posted by on Feb 17, 2021 in Local History

An interesting landmark! SEE Southampton YetoaShpstehrrdamrody at omnrtdsso0hrtuoe6:de39  · I am always fascinated as to why it was necessary to have a stone plaque to remember a pub which has been demolished. This stone marks the location of the...

read more

St Denys station once had a bookstall!

Posted by on Feb 17, 2021 in Local History

St Denys Station once had a bookstall! Bevois Mount History Southampton tSponS5soroerhd  · Slightly off our patch, but who would have thought that St Denys Station once had a bookstall?

read more

Painting of duck feeding at Cemetery Lake

Posted by on Feb 13, 2021 in Local History, News

Great upto date painting …visited today..ducks ice skating on the frozen pond.. artgallery.co.uk https://artgallery.co.uk/feeding-the-ducks-at-southampton-common?fbclid=IwAR3RX-bqWYUGzm1LpQJTJF0YkA-LDZaTGn7Oezf7Miy75gKyzYK-Ng5p36Y Feeding the...

read more

Our local sponsors: