Join
Us

Contact
Us

More ‘Streetwatch’ history from The Avenue to Portswood and Westwood Road to Lodge Road

More ‘Streetwatch’ history from SEE Southampton. From The Avenue to Portswood and Westwood Road to Lodge Road.
STREETWATCH
The Avenue to Portswood Road; Westwood Road to Lodge Road
Bevois Mount Estate was created by Charles Mordaunt, third Earl of Peterborough, (c.1723), by combining the traditional Padwell Farm lands, with the land to the east, formerly belonging to St Denys Priory. One of the military commanders in Queen Anne’s reign, Mordaunt won distinction in the Spanish wars of that time, and in his retirement built and lived at Bevois Mount. The house stood at what is now the north junction of Lodge Road and Cedar Road; the estate was bounded to the west by the Avenue, to the east by Portswood Road and Bevois Hill, to the south by Rockstone Lane and to the north by Westwood Road.
In the 18th century the Earl entertained many famous guests at the house, including Voltaire, Alexander Pope, Thomas Grey and Jonathan Swift. Pope liked to wander through the grounds along what later became known as ‘Pope’s Walk’.
One feature was an artificial mound, which according to legend had been built by Sir Bevois to defend Southampton against the Danes. This legend gave the Earl the idea for the romantic name for his property. According to legend, Bevois Mount was either a burial mound containing the tomb of Sir Bevois, or a fortification built by the Saxons under his command. It stood until the 19th century on the high ground of ‘The Mount’, just below Clausentum Road, overlooking Bevois Valley. It was never scientifically investigated
This posting covers the north part of that area.
AVENUE ROAD was previously Betts Lane, named after William Betts, owner of Bevois Mount House from 1844. He built the Stag Gates at the Avenue entrance to the Bevois Mount estate.
ALMA ROAD was named after the Battle of the Alma (1854), one of the first battles of the Crimean War (1853-57). It was a popular choice for new street names in the years following the war,
and there were many instances of the name in the town and surrounding suburbs. All but this one were changed to avoid duplication when the suburbs were incorporated into the Borough.
GORDON AVENUE. Charles George Gordon,known as Chinese Gordon, (1833 -1885) was a British general who became a national hero for his exploits in China, and his ill-fated defense of Khartoum against the Mahdists. Although born in London he regarded Southampton as his home for about twenty years. His father Lieutenant General Henry Gordon retired to the town in c.1857, living at 5 Rockstone Place. Gordon stayed there occasionally on his periods of leave, and was there for several months in 1865 following his Chinese campaign. There are two other reminders of General Gordon in Southampton: a memorial to him erected in Queen’s Park in 1885, and at the Old Cemetery on the Common, there is a panel on the Gordon family tomb which refers to him. The Gordon Boys’ Brigade in Southampton was founded in his memory.
LIVINGSTONE ROAD. David Livingstone (1813 –1873) was a Scottish physician, Congregationalist, and pioneer Christian missionary with the London Missionary Society, an explorer in Africa, and one of the most popular British heroes of the late 19th-century Victorian era. During his incredible life, Livingstone undertook three major expeditions into the heart of Africa.. Livingstone witnessed a massacre of local Africans by slave traders on one of his earlier expeditions. Already firmly against slavery, he wrote accounts which he sent back to the UK detailing the brutality of the slave trade. And a mere two months after his death, the Sultan of Zanzibar outlawed slavery in his country, which effectively killed the Arab slave trade.
In 1871 Livingstone had been presumed dead. Luckily he was found alive near Lake Tanganyika in October 1871, by another explorer and journalist, Henry Stanley who upon finding Dr. Livingstone, allegedly uttered those famous words, ‘Dr. Livingstone I presume?’. Although in a poor state, Livingstone continued to search for the source of the Nile right up until his death two years later, although he was never to find it. His embalmed body, together with his journal, was carried over a thousand miles by two of his attendants, and was then returned by sea to England for burial. The P & O ship Malwa bearing his remains arrived in Southampton in April 1874. The ceremony to mark the arrival was arranged by the Mayor, Edwin Jones. The body was landed at the Royal Pier and transported by horse- drawn hearse to the Terminus Station, and then by special train to London. The procession accompanying the hearse went along High Street, Bernard Street and Oxford Street to the station. The Southampton Times declared that “Southampton did quite as much honour to itself as it did to the memory of Dr Livingstone by the reception which it gave to his remains”.
EARLS ROAD. Named after the Earl of Peterborough.
ROSE ROAD is named after John Rose (1804-1884) an extraordinary character of the town in the 1800s. It was as a news vendor, peddling the humbler class of racy, unstamped newspapers and periodicals, that John Rose gained notoriety in the 1830s and early 1840s. He was also connected with the Theatre Royal in French Street from 1827. Rose was a consummate showman; for most of the period from the late 1840s to the mid-1860s, he laid on an annual extravaganza of ‘Old English Sports’ on the Common for the Queen’s coronation celebrations. Seventeen children are recorded to him between February 1827 and March 1864. The Hampshire Independent of 31 July 1858 stated “ Perhaps no man is better known in the town or precincts of Southampton”. He attracted such epitaphs as “powerful looking”, “our tall acquaintance”, “notable and notorious”, “never-to-be forgotten”, a “Leviathan”, and “original and in his way inimitable”.
CAMBRIDGE ROAD / TERRACE were used as a compliment to either the youngest son of King George III, Adolphus Duke of Cambridge, or his son, Prince George, Duke of Cambridge
CEDAR ROAD. I’m sure I read somewhere that this was named after a large single Cedar tree.
FULLERTON ROAD. George Alexander Fullerton owned Westwood House around 1839.
SPEAR ROAD. Spear Hall was built in 1765 for William Bricknell. It was an area of two acres adjoining Portswood Road on its eastern boundary. The southern edge ran parallel to Avenue Road, and the northern to Gordon Avenue. The western boundary took an uneven line following the modern Livingston Road to the junction with Earls Road, then south till Avenue Road.
RIGBY ROAD was built by 1900, on the site of Bevois Hill House. It was named after Captain Rigby Collins, who lived at Bevois Hill House in the 1870s and 1880s.
LODGE ROAD was named from Bevois Mount Lodge, one of the lodges to the Bevois Mount estate, which formerly stood nearly halfway along its north side. The road replaced the original carriage drive, which however coincided only at the west terminal. The Stag Gates, the entrance to Bevois Mount Estate, formerly stood at the entrance to Lodge Road from the Avenue.
BELMONT ROAD AND OSBORNE ROAD SOUTH – covered previously.