SEE Southampton has now reached The Finches, Donnington Grove, Highfield Crescent, Shaftesbury Avenue and a lot more!

Continuing SEE Southampton’s ‘Streetwatch’ – history of Southampton roads, here are The Finches, Donnington Grove, Highfield Crescent, Shaftesbury Avenue and a few more!
East of Church Lane / Highfield Lane / St Denys Road, to Thomas Lewis Way; south of Welbeck Avenue / Bowden Lane.
An area where it’s difficult to be certain of the derivations of the street names. Perhaps you can help?
THE FINCHES. There was a large house here named The Finches.
HIGHFIELD CRESCENT. Appears to have just been named after the general area.
SHAFTESBURY AVENUE. Anthony Ashley Cooper, (1801 –1885) 7th Earl of Shaftesbury following the death of his father in 1851, was a British politician, philanthropist and social reformer known as “the reforming” Lord Shaftesbury. His work included the Reform of the Lunacy Laws, Child labour and factory reform, Banning the use of climbing boys (chimney sweeps) and Education reform – especially the Ragged Schools.
HOLYROOD AVENUE. Holy Rood is the (now ruined) Church in the High Street. The Palace of Holyroodhouse, commonly referred to as Holyrood Palace, is the official residence of the British monarch in Scotland, Queen Elizabeth II. Located at the bottom of the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, at the opposite end to Edinburgh Castle.
ROYSTON CLOSE. Newish development, so maybe it is the Southampton MP Royston Smith??
RICHMOND GARDENS. There was a Duke of Richmond at this time. Richmond Park, in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, was created by Charles I in the 17th century as a deer park. Richmond Castle is one of the finest tourist attractions in North Yorkshire.
DONNINGTON GROVE. Donnington Castle is a ruined medieval castle, situated in the small village of Donnington, just north of Newbury.
BELMONT ROAD. The Town Map of 1845-46 shows Belmont House (or Lodge) at the west side, of the junction of modern-day Portswood Road and Belmont Road. A sales notice of 1854 describes it as a recently built Gothic villa, owned by William Elliston. It had been demolished by the 1880s. Belmont Place was situated off the east side of Portswood Road, corresponding with the west stretch of what is now Westridge Road. Belmont Villa formerly stood on the south side of Portswood Road, approximately on the site of Belmont Road. Belmont is distinguished surname is of Norman origin, introduced into England during the Conquest of 1066, deriving from the Old French “beu”, fair, lovely, with “mont”, a hill. Belmont abbey founded in1859 is just outside Hereford. Belmont Castle is a ruined castle near Flims in Switzerland.Switzerland. It was the home of the Barons of Belmont.
ARNOLD ROAD. Matthew Arnold (1822 –1888) was a poet and critic. He was also an inspector of schools for thirty-five years, and supported the concept of state-regulated secondary education. His father, Thomas Arnold, was Headmaster of Rugby School, and became as famous for his portrayal in ‘Tom Brown’s School Days’, as for his efforts to reform public school education in England.
KENT ROAD. The Duchess of Kent, accompanied by Princess Victoria, opened the Royal Pier in 1833. John Kent was a builder, architect and surveyor in Southampton, first recorded in the town in a directory of 1783/4.
GROSVENOR ROAD / GARDENS / CLOSE. Sir Richard Grosvenor, 1st Baronet (1585 –1645) was an English politician who sat in the House of Commons at various times between 1621 and 1629. He is an ancestor of the modern-day Dukes of Westminster.
OSBORNE ROAD (NORTH & SOUTH) / GARDENS. Osborne Road was Winchester Road until 1897. Osborne House is a former royal residence in East Cowes, Isle of Wight. The house was built between 1845 and 1851 for Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. There have been a number of famous Lord Osbornes. Perhaps the most likely to have been referenced here is Lord Sidney Godolphin Osborne (1808 –1889) an English cleric, philanthropist and writer. Osborne commented on free trade, education, women’s rights, sanitation, cattle plague, and cholera. During the Crimean War, he made an unofficial inspection and aided the improvement of the hospitals under Florence Nightingale’s care.