facebook.com/HRASouthampton highfieldracomms@gmail.com

Join /
Renew

Contact
Us

Portswood Lodge and its relationship to Abbotts Way

Courtesy to SEE Southampton
Interesting background to Abbott’s Way, named after William Abbott, and which was built on part of the site where Portswood Lodge used to be located. The Lodge was demolished in 1923.
William Abbott was the owner of Portswood Lodge from c.1847-57. He appears to have been a retired military man, a captain who had served in India. The census of 1851 records him as a “landed proprietor” then aged 80. His family comprised his wife Marianne, aged 66, his son William, aged 34 and four unmarried daughters aged between 33 and 46. Portswood Lodge was a large country house situated on the west side of Portswood Road. It was built c.1800 for the Taylor family and demolished in 1923, the estate being sold off for housing development. Abbott’s Way, one of the streets built on the site, was named after William Abbott. The Lodge was later renamed as Portswood House. The picture below is of the family of Walter Perkins who owned it from the 1870’s.