facebook.com/HRASouthampton highfieldracomms@gmail.com

Join /
Renew

Contact
Us

The Cowherd’s Inn was erected in 1762……

The Cowherd’s Inn was erected in 1762, on the site of an earlier building. as a home for the Cowherd – a borough official charged with overseeing the pasturing of the burgess’s cattle on the Common. Here is some interesting background history to the Cowherd’s Inn from Maz Poole at ‘Southampton History Photos’.
The Cowherd’s Inn.1910.
This well-known inn was erected in 1762, on the site of an earlier building. It was wholly financed by Alderman William Knight as a home for the Cowherd, a borough official charged with overseeing the pasturing of the burgess’s cattle on the Common. The annual rent was raised from £1 to £5, and this increase could only be found by using the new house to sell beer and refreshment. In 1774 a brewer, Edward Dyett, was appointed Cowherd, and the refreshment side grew in importance. The property was leased in 1789 to Taylor, Moody and Taylor, brewers of East Street, Southampton, with accommodation being reserved for the Cowherd. The office ceased to exist in the 1830s. The Borough Corporation tried to establish the name ‘Southampton Arms’, as appropriate to a spa town, but the local name persisted and is still in use today. Strategically placed on the main road north of Southampton the Inn would accommodate many travellers with horses.
The postcard was published by Prosser and Co.