facebook.com/HRASouthampton highfieldracomms@gmail.com

Join /
Renew

Contact
Us

Very old Highfield/Portswood map

A very old map of Highfield/Portswood. The person who passed it on thinks it dates from around the 1850s. A clue might be that West Station (now Central) is shown which may help with dating it?
One helpful comment on the above from Facebook:
In 1847 engine sheds and a turntable were built adjacent to the Terminus Station and not yet shown on this map.There is a level crossing shown where Bridge Road crosses the railway, this was replaced by Central Bridge in 1882. The original Portswood station was opened by the London and South Western Railway on 1 May 1861 and so named after the small village to the west of the main line. Shortly after, to accommodate the Portsmouth branch line, a new station building was built 0.25 miles to the south; the relocated station was opened on 5 March 1866. However to avoid confusion with Portsmouth, the station was renamed to St Denys Hope this helps.