facebook.com/HRASouthampton highfieldracomms@gmail.com

Join /


An historical account of how we came to have Portswood Library; a treasured community hub and one we must preserve

This week’s #ThrowbackThursday is all about Portswood Library.
In 1911, the Portswood Local Ratepayers Association complained to the council about the 4d tram fare to get to the Central Library in London Road.
As a response, the council offered part of the Portswood Tramways Depot to be used as a public reading room, its popularity quickly proved the need for a permanent library.
The solution came within a few years as land from the Portswood House Estate was sold off. Portswood Councillor, Sidney Kimber, seized the opportunity to purchase land next to the Palladium cinema in Portswood Road for £580, which he then offered to the Council for library premises.
Despite the outbreak of the First World War, which caused issues with materials and labour, the build continued and the library officially opened on 25th October 1915, albeit initially with restricted facilities.
Portswood library, complete with beautiful glass domed roof, still stands on its original spot today.