facebook.com/HRASouthampton highfieldracomms@gmail.com

Join /


The Gothic lodge-house, built in circa 1860, the last remaining building of the Highfield Estate

The Gothic lodge-house, built in circa 1860. The only building left of the Highfield House estate. The map, dated 1898, shows the area before the now houses were built.
Highfield House was on the east side of the Common and probably built at the end of the 18th century.
The estate was sold for development in 1910, but the house was not demolished until 1929 to make way for flats on the corner of Oakmount Avenue and Westbourne Crescent.
The estate entrance gateway and a Gothic lodge-house, house built circa 1860, remain on the edge of the Common. It was for sale last year. The map below was published in 1898 and shows the area before houses were built.